Watching “Adipurush” May Not Be Everyone’s Cup Of Tea.
I swear babe, it isn’t JUST the VFX and CGI.
Most of my family has been going crazy by saying how we’re finally getting a movie based on the Ramayana and they’re looking forward to see it. The problem is, it has kind of already gained a somewhat negative reputation among the young audience, including me, due to poorly enhanced and added VFX.
When it was first teased in 2020, it was brutally trolled due to the sole reason - with more being added as other detailed trailers started to release.
Although the status of the movie does seem better now, people still have a lot to say regarding the inaccuracies portrayed in the movie. This, added along with quite a lot of religious sentiments hurt for showing some characters wearing leather and not wearing Janeu which don’t go in order with the Raamcharitamanas book.
Now I’m not gonna act like I’m an orthodox Hindu and say I’m going to avoid watching the movie solely due to the controversies that revolve around it or the poor graphic quality. But my question comes around the fact, is it really better than reading the Ramayana or The Amar Chitra Katha?
As someone who has read the whole Ramayana and understood it through the illustrations of Amar Chitra Katha, I’ll agree that there weren’t cool shots of arrows covered with flames, or chariots with these magical particles, or these dramatic dialogues which are nowhere mentioned in the holy book. But what I did get through the book is the accuracy and pure understanding of what really happened, since believe me, getting the ramayana-based movie viewers an inaccurate imagination is the LAST thing we need for now. I’d appreciate if we had a simple movie - even if it’s an average amount of CGI, there’s no issue. - all I need is a decent screening of the religious events that really happened, without dramatic cuts and dialogues with no base - the pure battle with basic fights as tried to shown in the book - which also means there automatically won’t be any cancelling.
Because remember, the original Ramayan serial never got cancelled for a reason. And there’s a reason Adipurush is facing the cancel culture.
Now let’s come to the other side. - this’ll be a long blog, get your popcorn ready. - the increasing cancel culture on movies.
Now I agree that the movie had a few reasons to get hate - but it’s about time that haters and Hindus calm down and accept the scenario of at-least getting a movie that globally represents our culture and religion.
The amount of social media hate for this movie is insane, the only problem being that this also reduces the chances other directors will be willing to take risk to make another religion-based movie, solely due to the fact that they might have a bigger worry of getting cancelled.
All I gotta say is, as someone who understands and knows the Ramayana through ACK, I’ll let my imagination about this stay realistic. There were basic chariots, normal arrows and minimal dialogues. And it’s better if I let them stay that way. - and average/poor VFX and CGI was, is, and never will be the reason to cancel a movie, especially one created on religious grounds. - let’s learn to respect opinions and boundaries and work towards a casual acceptance of liking and not liking something.
Alright, time to close the blog before Bhushan Kumar sends his men to beat me up.
Comments
Post a Comment