I’m Disappointed In Drake.
This has to be one of the most disappointing album rollouts ever.
Personally, I’m a huge fan of Drake, and when Drake announced his new album “For All The Dogs”, I was really excited, since it’s always awesome to get more projects from one of our favorite artists.
I honestly thought this would release a few weeks after “UTOPIA” by Travis Scott dropped, but the official date was eventually given as September 22nd.
But, as expected, Drake was on tour, so he couldn’t complete the album on time and eventually delayed it till October 6th.
And Drake made a lot of promises, about how this was going to be a really good album and how this would sound like the “Old Drake” that all of his fans want.
Turns out, those promises weren’t exactly true.
The Album Review:
This was one disappointing album run. So we got 23 songs on the album, I honestly had to leave the album for a while with seven songs remaining due to how dry and unsatisfying it was for me to keep the Tracks running - as they weren’t up to the caliber I was expecting.
See, the thing with Drake is, his music is quite invigorating, but the same can’t be said for this album. The production on this album feels like a stretch, the lyrics go super-basic or off just when you’re starting to get into it and vibe along with it.
One example is “Calling My Name”, which features 21 Savage. As soon as the beat switches - thank god it does, because we get a HUGE monologue of a girl speaking about her vacation trip for some reason - as 21 Savage starts rapping and getting into the flow, and just as I, simultaneously start enjoying it, he goes on saying “yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah..”
A lot could’ve been done with the potential production value and features this album contains. But the rollout momentum feels like a waste.
Conclusion:
It’s just a really unsettling vibe. The most sad part is, this is the first sign we got that our favorite rapper is getting old and can’t keep it up with hype music anymore. The album was just not what I was expecting after getting a good album like “Her Loss”. It’s just upsetting. Drake has missed on this one.
And, also remember that Drake cancelled shows just for completing the release of this album, meaning that all the people who purchased the tickets got their show had to see their tickets getting dishonored only for an album like this. I was actually expecting better.
Anyhow, if you want some of my picks, they are “IDGAF”, “Tried Our Best”, “8am in charlotte” and “Away From Home”.
If he would’ve worked somewhat harder on this album rather than delaying and cancelling shows and going to clubs instead, maybe it would’ve helped with our expectations. Expectations from his fans.
Rating:
I’ll give “For All The Dogs” 8 chihuahuas out of 16 Rottweilers.
No, on a serious note, this album is a 5.9/10 for me. The above average lyricism on some tracks and potential values of the features carries the rating. What takes it away is the unsettling construction of this album, pale flow and vocals and terrible overall planning of how many songs were even needed on this album.
This the part where I end the blog. And I don’t even want to talk about the fact that we had to hear Drake rap in Spanish.
Comments
Post a Comment