I'm Left Appalled.
Me and my friend were discussing rap feuds and diss tracks a few weeks ago. She sent me a reel that was a light hearted rap battle between Charlie Puth and the backstreet boys. I'll agree it was pretty impressive, but she did not know about the ACTUAL rap battles that happen in Hip Hop and Rap, the serious ones that end careers. Those are even MORE impressive.
Lucky us, we're actually in the middle of one of the greatest rap battles of all time. Drake and Kendrick Lamar.
They've been going back and forth for a while now, but a few days ago, Kendrick dropped "meet the grahams".
And I have no words.
This diss track goes against each of Drake's family members, Kendrick talks to each one of them and accuses Drake of multiple things such as being a pedophile, misogynist and hiding daughter (which later turned out to be fake). It wasn't even a diss track, Kendrick straight up wished Drake that "he should die so our daughters can live with a purpose" and advised people to stay away from Drake. He calls out Drake for his lack of discipline and how he's a bad father. He tells Drake's son Adonis that he won't understand it now, and that he should play this track when he's 18. He tells Sandra, Drake's mother that his son should die so the world can be a better place. There's even this sort of eerie production, empty piano notes and simple drums that make me question my existence, it puts us in this uncomfortable and unorganised place, it's terrifying to know that such amount of hatred can exist against someone.
I sat in silence after listening to that track. It left me horrified if I'm being honest. I thought there's no way Drake can even properly respond to something as disgusting and accusatory as this.
He did respond and it was weak, all he tried to do was protect himself from the accusations but failed. Kendrick won. He did all this back to back and won.
"Meet the Grahams" is one sort of a song that makes me feel grateful for not being Drake. I'd be damned if my lifestyle, attitude, music and choices were questioned.
It's crazy because usually, even other rap disses don't go as hard as this one did. This was a death sentence, there's no coming back from this.
I need to admit it here, publically.
My favourite artist, Drake. He has been defeated by Kendrick Lamar. No matter what he does next will not change the result.
This is why hip hop is such a fun yet a horrifying genre. People cross boundaries, but it's fun to see how far they actually go. I can't wait to see what Drake does next, he's desperate to escape the aftermath of Kendrick and his lyrics. Both have received heavy accusations, but Drake's seemed to have reached a new low.
Comments
Post a Comment