I Don't Resonate With "Keeping Quiet".
Feels good to get back to writing after a long time, i guess you could say I was Keeping Quiet.
Sorry about that, seems like my jokes have fallen off.
For people who need context or are unaware about what the poem "Keeping Quiet" is about, it's basically an English lesson for us 12th graders. The poet asks us to keep quiet and not do anything, which in turn would not harm the environment and help in the promotion of peace, he asks us to stop indulging in any sort of action and asks us to self-introspect.
In a nutshell, the poet shows us that he's the slightly saner version of an environmentalist.
Now, you'd think I am only writing this blog and disagreeing with him for the sake of content and to look different in the eyes of the readers.
Now even though that is partly right, i won't admit to it. But my problem is not with the emotions of the poet, it is about how unrealistically he asks us to deal with it.
Firstly, the poet asks us to stop communication and not speak in any language to avoid any misunderstandings. This is extremely stupid because not communicating is inhumane. Humans have been gifted with the ability to be the smartest yet also have the ability to be non-righteous in so many situations. Not communicating and being alone may bring peace to certain people, but not to me. Misunderstandings are the key to building a better communication and just learning from our mistakes. If we follow what the poet suggests, we will never grow as a person, never step out of our comfort zone and never realise how to prevent any unwanted situation from occurring again.
The poet here suggests that the hiatus to communication it's not something permanent, but rather a suggestion that everyone should follow for a certain amount of time, but even that certain amount of time is crucial for every human being, which brings me to the next point.
The poet asks us to stop doing anything and everything. Now, i get it that this is an affordable choice for some people. But there are millions of people, especially in India, who are either stressed or jammed under the exact criteria of a middle class family, where if they don't attend to their 9 to 5 job for a day, it can affect them crucially. Same goes for any job, career or a place that is stressful. The sole purpose of the human being has been to find and create a purpose.
I agree that all of us wish to just have a few weeks off from whatever we're doing, and even I'm extremely stressed due to multiple things piling up. But does that mean I give up on my routine? No, but there are other things that I can clearly do to ensure I don't fall apart.
Here, the poet does not provide any solution that can help people universally. It's so unrealistic that it almost feels as if its a mockery at the human function of working and engaging in productivity.
The only thing that I can agree upon is stopping the wars, but that's also something extremely general to say. Everyone wants peace, but it's always certain parties that would rather acquire the opportunity to assert dominance instead of setting themselves back and looking "weak". This can be a country, a ruler, or even you and me. Conflicts happen everyday, it's just the adversities that make people care more or less about it.
But, at the end of the day its the conflicts that happen that let us learn. Conflicts due to lack of communication. Conflicts due to misunderstandings. Conflicts due to being stressed under the same schedule and not being able to stop what you're doing, Or conflicts that arise due to opportunities amongst one another to prove or say something.
I hope the average reader realizes that their life will turn out just fine and that not everyone introspects in silence.
There's no point to your introspection if you don't become a better person or make better decisions the next day. That's why I don't introspect, i just try.
I might fail, I perhaps even do, but I try. Because that's human. An organism that the "Keeping Quiet" lesson cannot understand.
Now I would speak about this in our English class, but our new English teacher doesn't care about our opinions and what we think. So had to write what I've been feeling lately in a blog.
Comments
Post a Comment