Your Early Convocation.
Good Afternoon,
It feels unsettling yet exciting to be here. Knowing we'll have to choose what needs to be taken ahead with us and what needs to be left behind. It's always a hard choice, just like the many we've made to be here andstand confidently knowing we'll do well in one of the most overhyped exams of our country.
And in case you don't, well there's nothing we can do about it. Improvements are always available.
But you see. Life's this one mixed fruit cocktail of regrets, emotions, learnings and qualities.
And yeah, it tastes quite bitter if there's too much of too less of any of those. Right now, I'm sure many of you feel overwhelmed knowing what kind of new worlds will all of you be entering. You've all got questions like "Will My college be the right choice?" Or "will I get a good friend group?" Or like me, "will I finally get a girlfriend?"
The questions one could have is endless. None of y'all can really be blamed considering the last 15 years of our lives just revolved around everything else and school.
I'm probably the same age as most of you, and I've got much more to learn as my time comes up and I've still got to be be tested by God too. But I've gone through and realized a lot of things in my high school that I would like to bestow upon all of you. In the hopes of it helping somebody, even a bit.
It made sense to divide these into five headings or bits.
What Happens To Our Peers?
We spend a bit of time wondering who all do we need to stay in touch with, now that it's not a compulsion anymore. And whom all we might have to choose to forget, for our better.
I realized during my four years in this school that the people have taught me more than the teachers themselves. No offense.
Now, it's not that they took tuitions or Ted Talk sessions, but mostly their outright nature.
I learnt all kinds of nitwits that could co-exist in this world with us. "Wow! This person can be so blind to see what's hurting them!" Or "Damn! These people feel no remorse whatsoever!" Or "Amazing! The concept of conscience is lost!"
I do spend quite some time deducting people. Sure it could make me feel better about myself but also help me choose how much time would each person deserve from me.
I saw the difference between those who choose to change from who they once were and also those who choose to sustain their nature. I lost touch with a few friends along the way, but looking back at it, I really think it was for the better. There's a lot of learning that comes from detachment, remorse, mistakes and situations that force you to be independent. And no doubt, all of you may face more of it.
Learn what you will out of this.
My Belief In Retribution
Standing right here. I'm glad to announce that I really don't hold any regrets. Sure I could've not said what i had on my mind or could've said something less. But I consider them alternative courses of life that would've resulted in me learning less.
I love the ability of being able to look at yourself in the mirror. But I do understand if a lot of you might not be able to, or might have to be pretentious about it. I made a lot of mistakes too.
And it would sound irreverent, but you'd have to believe me that you will have to face retribution for all of your actions. Karma, as one might say.
But please don't let yourself sink into the wormhole of black and white. Do realize that you can wake up the next day and still decide to be a new person. New Again.
And please do have the motivation to wake up the next day. It seems too hard of a task for this generation.
You can apologise to someone for your irreverent behavior or always take an apology. None of them change who you are, unless you believe so.
It Takes Pride To Live In Gray
Social Media. Superhero books and novels have changed our ideology and made us believe that the world has only two sides. Right and wrong. White and black.
Just know that all our actions and repercussions depend on one another. A good person can do bad things and a bad person can do good things.
Please don't live in the belief that one can adopt a linear path of actions and just be...good. it's impossible for us to not screw up. But it makes you a better human if you accept to live with the gray in you.
It's all about caring about people and trying to do the right thing. You can't always be white but your gray can be lighter than others.
You can mean something to someone too -- That's one of my goals. It's never too late.
Keep The Family Close
People seem too eager to move out. I understand that it's a necessity. Sadly in today's time even some of the degrees don't guarantee you a future or a job. Nothing's guaranteed.
That's the same reason for why you need to hold your family close. Your mom and dad are going to teach you a lot of things. And for some of the things you'll learn on your own, you'll need them to explain
And sometimes it's good to just have them be there. Keep the family close. No next day is guaranteed.
Sadly we live in a world where anyone you trust or love can not do something and say that they merely weren't obliged to do it. Your parents won't say that. No-one's promised all the good things, but everybody deserves someone to hear them out. And for those who may not have friends, you still got your parents.
My last lesson. Well, it comes directly from me :-
Be Great. No Matter What.
Why will one reel make you feel like a loser. Why can one mistake make you feel like you're the worst person ever? Why should one person let you say something about you and you blindly believe it?
You have free will but most importantly, you have free will onto yourself. You're not liable to be anybody's liability. You represent your parents and everyone who came before you. Everybody else that you think matters in your life...all of it depends merely on the test of time. Stop crying over things and people, go outside and be great.
Do what you can with yourself. Because I think everyone can. I think everybody deserves to make a hero of themselves. Everybody's got something more to say or do to someone but the best way to be great is just be yourself and let anybody who hurt you face their karma.
Sure you could be the upholder of peace or an atheist, but I think we should believe in the concept of karma. Not for the sake of others, but just so that we stay on the right path.
That was it. I've got more things to learn. Maybe the next time we meet, I might have 10 things to say instead of 5. But until we somehow have to meet again. Not that I'm interested in seeing any of y'all again.
[This content was initially for my one minute speech for my school farewell. This is obviously over one minute due to having no cuts and lack of minimisation of the content]
Comments
Post a Comment